Covid and Patient Experience
RESOLVE and EMD Serono partnered together to conduct a survey of the RESOLVE patient community pursuing medical treatment during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic. Find out the results below.
RESOLVE and EMD Serono partnered together to conduct a survey of the RESOLVE patient community pursuing medical treatment during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic. We surveyed 539 respondents, in various stages of treatment via online survey tool with a supporting grant from EMD Serono. This information is to help guide providers on what really stuck out to patients during their treatment experience and recommendations on what should continue to be part of the patient experience.
There were 4 key points that ultimately influenced the patient experience:
These 4 key points were: Communication, Flexibility, Explanation, and Responsiveness
Patients indicated the need for:
- Increased Communication and access to clinic staff of physicians.
- Continued Flexibility of telehealth appointments.
- Invested time and Explanation of how well the physician explains the treatment plan.
- Improved Responsiveness of the clinic staff to patient needs.
What will live beyond the pandemic?
Telehealth made a lasting impact on patients during the pandemic. Working from home was a driving factor for flexibility and the ability to continue appointment attendance.
- Patients who had telehealth appointments in addition to in-person appointment were 1.6 times more likely to continue treatment without pause than those who had no telehealth appointments.
- More than 50% of patients surveyed preferred flexibility of telehealth.
- Less than 50% of patients surveyed did NOT notice a difference in personalization of appointments (telehealth vs. in-person)
Communications and the accessibility to staff continue to be important to patients as they navigate a treatment cycle. Consider adding new and supportive resources to your patient information packets or digital communications and space out the communications so patients feel connected more frequently.
- 75% felt having direct contact information for an RN/REI was the right amount support.
- IUI patients experienced higher levels of satisfaction with treatment/disease explanation.
Resources and support for patients post-pandemic:
COVID-19 Vaccinations and Fertility
RESOLVE Support Resources
For Providers: Coverage at Work Clinic Toolkit
For Patients: How to talk to your employer about insurance coverage
About EMD Serono
EMD Serono is a RESOLVE Visionary Partner and a corporate partner who shares our mission to ensure that anyone challenged in their family building has access to all options. EMD Serono is the biopharmaceutical division of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, a global pharmaceutical and chemical group. EMD Serono strives to create value and benefit to patients by transforming medical science into breakthrough solutions in the core therapeutic areas of neurodegenerative diseases, fertility and metabolic endocrinology, as well as oncology and autoimmune/inflammatory diseases as emerging areas of expertise. For more information visit us.fertility.com.