Military Personnel Options
Find out military personnel options for affordable infertility treatment. Learn about what is covered by TriCare insurance and special discount programs.
If you are in the armed services or your spouse is, you’ll need to know what your options are for treatment for your infertility. First things first, know what is covered! The good news is, there are a few options for receiving care such as a basic fertility workup, IUIs or an IVF procedure. Below you will find affordable infertility treatment for military personnel.
If you receive treatment at one of the Military Treatment Facilities (MTF) listed below. You will still need to pay out-of-pocket but the cost is less compared to the same services at a non-military clinic.
Use your TRICARE insurance coverage for medical care outside of a MTF, however, TRICARE does not cover IVF or IUI’s, and may have limited coverage for other procedures. Check your plan first and talk to TRICARE to get all the facts.
If you are denied coverage, write a letter and appeal. Most insurance plans are not counting on you to appeal and you may get the coverage determination reversed. Pay out of pocket at a non-military clinic but ask the clinic about military discounts, drug discounts, and payment plans. Many clinics today are offering military discounts and can share with you information on discounts for your medications. Also, some clinics are contracted with TRICARE to provide services via the TRICARE insurance plan.
TRICARE may cover the following types of infertility testing and treatment.
- Diagnostic services to identify physical illnesses or injuries to the reproductive system are covered for both men and women. Infertility treatments, corrective treatments and surgeries for women are also covered. However, correction of male infertility may be cost shared, which is determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Therapies covered by TRICARE include hormonal treatment, corrective surgery, antibiotics, administration of human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) or radiation therapy depending on the cause. These therapies are covered for both sexes.
- TRICARE also provides medically necessary appropriate medical care for erectile dysfunction due to organic, vice psychological or psychiatric, causes.
- In-vitro fertilization (IVF) for women (see note below)
- Reversal of surgical sterilization is not covered for either sex.
A note about IVF: While TRICARE does not cover IVF, there are military treatment facilities (MTFs) where IVF medical training programs are conducted. Beneficiaries who participate in these programs will be responsible for all MTF costs.
- Fort Sam Brooke Army Medical Center, San Antonio, TX
- Tripler Army Medical Center, Honolulu, HI
- Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, MD
- Womack Army Medical Center, Ft. Bragg, NC
- Naval Medical Center, San Diego, CA
- Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, WA
The RESOLVE community is proud of the dedication and support of our active duty military and veterans, and many of our professional members offer our military a special discount on family building services.
Here is a listing of that will help those seeking resources, find trusted professionals in their area who can make all the difference in their ability to build their family.
As of November 2015: A number of Society For Assisted Reproductive Technology (SART) member clinics have agreed to participate in the “Serving Our Veterans” program and are offering discounted IVF services to Veterans. The discounts and criteria vary by clinic.
Bette Galen, LCSW
- Features: I will offer 1/3 off my regular session rate.
- Contact Information: bettegalenlcsw.com
Center for Infertility Counseling and Support
- Features: I am a Tricare provider and former Navy Psychologist. I proudly serve military members and am an in-network provider.
- Contact Information: infertilitycounselingandsupport.com
Covington & Hafkin and Associates
- Features: Our practice of experience psychotherapist who specialize in reproductive mental health services will provide a 25% discount to military members and veterans for infertility counseling services and consultations for recipients pursuing third party reproduction.
- Contact Information: covingtonandhafkin.com
Compassionate Care: EMD Serono
- Features: The Compassionate Care Program is a patient assistance program that is designed to provide income eligible patients with savings on EMD Serono fertility medications. Patients who demonstrate financial need and have a valid prescription may qualify for 50 to 75% off the self-pay price of EMD Serono fertility medications or $10 off per unit after completing a mail-in rebate. Eligible patients can use the program for multiple cycles during each year. Patients must reapply each year. Additionally, depending on income, eligible medically retired veterans who do not qualify for the Compassionate Corps Program will receive an automatic discount of 25% off the self-pay price of EMD Serono fertility medicines through the Compassionate Care Program. These patients can also qualify for 50 to 75% off of EMD Serono fertility medications if they meet the financial and other eligibility criteria of the Compassionate Care Program.
- Qualifications: Eligibility is based on qualifying annual household gross income and first-time participation in the Compassionate Care Program.
- Contact: For eligibility information, program details and requirements, and enrollment form, please visit fertilitylifelines.com or call 1-855-541-5926.
Compassionate Corps Program – EMD Serono
- Features: The Compassionate Corps Program is a patient assistance program for eligible, uninsured veterans who are suffering from infertility due to a service-related injury or their spouses to receive free fertility medicine manufactured by EMD Serono. The Compassionate Corps Program is available for up to 2 cycles per year. Patients must reapply each year.
- Qualifications: To be eligible, patients must: be a retired member of the military or the spouse of one; be a veteran or the spouse of a veteran who is infertile due to a service-related injury, not privately insured for infertility medications and medically retired; and have been diagnosed by a physician as infertile and requiring IVF/ART. Those U.S. military veteran patients who do not qualify for the Compassionate Corps Program and do not have insurance for fertility medications are encouraged to apply for EMD Serono’s Compassionate Care Program in which they will now receive an automatic discount of 25% off the self-pay price of EMD Serono fertility medicines. These patients can also qualify for 50 to 75% off of EMD Serono fertility medications if they meet the financial and other eligibility criteria of EMD Serono’s Compassionate Care Program.
- Contact: For eligibility information, program details, and enrollment form, visit CompassionateCorps.com.
Fertility Centers of Illinois
- Features: We recognize and honor the sacrifice of our active or retired military service members by offering a 25% discount to those who do not have insurance coverage for treatment.
- Contact Information: fcionline.com
Fertility Institute of Hawaii
- Features: FIH offers both active and retired military discounted Infertility and IVF cycle prices for those who are self-pay. The discount applies to the cost of all fertility treatments performed at FIH.
- Contact Information: ivfcenterhawaii.com
Genesis Fertility & Reproductive Medicine
- Features: Genesis can offer a 25% discount off our regular IVF pricing as a service to those who serve/served our country. In addition we will provide free cryopreservation for 6 months. Genesis has offices in Brooklyn, Staten Island and Hewlett, NY.
- Contact Information: genesisfertility.com
Heart for Heroes Program – Ferring Pharmaceuticals through MDR Pharmaceutical Care
- Features: Ferring is offering select fertility products to eligible infertile veterans and their spouses at no cost through MDR Pharmaceutical Care. A physician certifies the veteran’s eligibility on the medication order form and sends it to MDR. The medication is shipped directly to the veteran and his/her spouse.
- Qualifications: Medically separated from active duty; Department of Defense Category 2 or 3 veteran; the service related injury resulted in infertility requiring assisted reproduction; must be a resident of the U.S.; patient and/or spouse has no insurance for IVF medications.
- Contact Information: For eligibility information and program details, contact MDR Pharmaceutical Care at 1-800-515-DRUG (3784) or heartforheroes.org.
InPsych Center (North San Diego County)
- Features: 10% discount for any active duty or reserve military for support groups as well as individual and couples counseling services
- Contact Information: inpsychcenter.com
IVF Life Group
- Features: First 2 years of storage of frozen gametes (eggs or sperm) free of maintenence charges for member of the military and their partner. This can be when planning for a fertility treatment, or for fertility preservation, in any clinic of our group.
- Contact Information: ivf-spain.com
Kentucky Fertility Institute
- Features: KFI is pleased to offer 20% off our IVF treatment costs for current and former members of the US military.
- Qualifications: Military ID required.
- Contact: kentuckyfertility.com
Law Offices of Robert Rettenmaier
- Features: Law Offices of Robert Rettenmaier offers a 20% discount off our regular attorney fees to those who serve/served our country.
- Contact Information: email@example.com
- Features: Free initial adoption consults for military families.
- Contact Information: arizonaadoptionlaw.com
- Features: 25% off the complete Journey to Parenthood & Beyond Audio Program providing emotional support and self discovery.
- Contact Information: organic-conceptions.com
Pineapple Law, PLLC
- Features: 25% discount off my regular fees for military families in Illinois.
- Contact information: pineapple.law
Reproductive Assistance Inc.
- Features: We offer active and inactive military members $500 off the agency fee for a donor and $2,000 off the agency fee for a gestational carrier.
- Contact Information: ReproductiveAssist.com
Reproductive Medicine Associates of New York
- Features: 25% discount to males and females active in the military and veterans.
- Contact Information: rmany.com/
Shady Grove Fertility
- Features: The discount provides active military and reservists a 25% discount off self pay rates for services provided by SGFRSC. Discounts do not apply when the fees are paid to an outside service and, therefore, not within our control. If you are interested in one of our discount programs please ask for eligibility criteria.
- Contact Information: shadygrovefertility.com/military-discount-program
The Bob Woodruff Foundation Veteran's In Vitro Initiative (VIVA)
- Features: The Bob Woodruff Foundation finds, funds, shapes and accelerates equitable solutions that help impacted veterans, service members, their families and their caregivers thrive. The Bob Woodruff Foundation's Veterans In Vitro InitiAtive (VIVA) helps veterans with service-connected fertility challenges to achieve their dream of growing their families by connecting them with resources and providing financial support. Given its more inclusive eligibility criteria, the BWF program can assist couples who may not be eligible for the VA program. The BWF VIVA grant is limited to two cycles of IVF at $5,000 per cycle with a maximum grant amount of $10,000. As of May 2022, 30 VIVA babies have been born with seven more on the way.
- Contact Information: bobwoodrufffoundation.org/viva/
Virginia Fertility and IVF
- Features: We offer active duty military families a Military Discount for IVF services (excluding IUI services).
- Contact Information: vafertility.com
*RESOLVE does not endorse any of the listed products and programs. For questions about the discount listings or RESOLVE Professional Membership, please contact the Development Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you a family building professional that provides discounts to active duty military and veteran families? Fill out this form and tell us about your discount program!
At RESOLVE we fight and our advocates fight along with us to help increase access to care. Our goal is to ensure that anyone struggling to build a family has access to all family building options and they have the right to a family, including our military and veteran service members.
We are working to make #IVF4Vets a permanent program. RESOLVE advocates help educate their lawmakers about the impact of Personhood in regards to reproductive medicine, such as IVF. As well as help make adoption affordable with the #ATC (Adoption Tax Credit.) This begins with becoming involved with advocacy efforts that help fight against anti-family building legislation.
Here are some ways you can take action with us!