A Guide to Advocating for Access to Care in New York State
We saw important progress this year on the Fair Access to Fertility Treatment Act (FAFTA) that RESOLVE helped draft that would add IVF and fertility preservation for cancer patients to NY’s current insurance law. The bill passed in the Assembly before stalling in the Senate. We are continuing to work with our allies in the Coalition to Help Families Struggling with Infertility to pass this important bill in 2018, and we need YOU to get involved. As New York residents, your voice is the most important one!
To keep this legislation a priority for lawmakers, we need you to keep in touch with your State Senator and Assemblymember throughout the fall while they are home in their districts. Please send this letter to your elected officials so they know you want this pro-family bill passed in 2018.
While lawmakers are home in their districts for the fall, it’s easy to meet with them and can make a big difference. To make it even easier, we have developed a toolkit to help you schedule and conduct your meetings, including talking points and handouts. And to provide you with additional support in advocating on behalf of FAFTA, we have created a Facebook page for you to share what you are doing and connect with others who share your passion for greater access to care in New York.
If you believe New Yorkers deserve access to the standard of care to treat the disease of infertility and allow cancer patients to have a chance at a family, please join the “Pass the Fair Access to Fertility Treatment Act” Facebook page, send the above letter to your elected officials, and volunteer to meet with your lawmakers by using the tools below. And be sure to sign up for emails from your lawmakers (or check their websites) so you receive notice of town hall meetings or coffees they may be hosting that you can attend and talk with them there.
What’s included in this toolkit:
- Instructions for setting up a meeting with your lawmakers in your district.
- Talking points to use during your meetings.
- Handouts to bring with you to your meetings.
- NY Legislative Agenda
- IVF Cost Fact Sheet
- Fertility Preservation Fact Sheet
- Reproduction options limited by state laws published by Times Union
- RESOLVE Letter of Support
- American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Letter of Support
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine Letter of Support
- Chfsi Letter Of Support
- Columbia University Medical Center Government & Legislative Affairs Letter of Support
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center Letter of Support
- Northwell Health Physician Partners Letter of Support
- Roswell Park Cancer Institute Letter of Support
- The Center Letter of Support
- United Jewish Appeal Letter of Support
- Weill Cornell Medicine Letter of Support
- Sample social media messages
- Facebook page to share your feedback and encourage others, and remember to tag your lawmakers so they see how important this issue is to you and your fellow constituents.
- Feedback form to share meeting details so we can follow up with the lawmaker.
Please also let us know if you are willing to share your story with the media and/or personalize an op-ed. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions? Contact email@example.com.
Please check the Facebook page for additional updates to keep the pressure on in your legislative districts. And please make sure your contact information is current so we can identify in which legislative district you live or work.
We need to keep the pressure on and we need to make sure we have the resources to keep our voices strong. Please donate any amount you can to help us improve access to care in New York. Click here for greater access to care.